Another glorious day but just four of us. Thanks to Judi, Julie and new volunteer Sarah we spread out across the 1.5 Ha field to plant a mix of knapweed, birdsfoot trefoil and meadow vetchling in the bare patches of the newly-mown Cornfield Grassland to add colour and pollinator potential. The field had been sown with wild flower seed but propagation had been poor and this was an attempt to speed up the process of naturalisation. As we proceeded we did find some flowers starting to germinate but we also raked the bare patches for some seed to be spread, in addition, during the week.
As Sarah had never seen a Tansy Beetle we made a alight diversion and found a number nearby, to her delight.
Later in April we will be collecting flood debris with some York Cares volunteers, and then on 12th May work party the plan is to collect seed (for the Cornfield Grassland and other arenas regenerating). Later in May we will hopefully be building a second bee bank.